Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Nihon Ash vs Pro Mods!!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by jayondama, May 31, 2017.

1. jayondama

jayondama n00b

Kinda torn between getting slaydawg between one of the pro mods. I know they're exactly the same in terms of the mods with ash wood but what would you guys choose?

May 31, 2017
    Ryan Brewer likes this.
  2. Sirwillcode

Sirwillcode Slayer

I like the nihon ash tama a lot more than the pro mod tamas. Perfect for tracking and it doesn't have someone's name on it. It's all personal preference though.

May 31, 2017
    Congarranza and Ryan Brewer like this.
  3. Steph Lussier

Steph Lussier Honed Member

I feel like the paint on the mods is a bit different than the Nihon.
    The Nihon feels like the paint is thicker somehow and more tacky than the mods. (from my personal opinion)

May 31, 2017
    Ryan Brewer likes this.
  4. SlammyBandanas

SlammyBandanas n00b

Kind of unrelated but how do you feel the bday paint fits in there if you've had a chance to play it?

May 31, 2017
    Ryan Brewer likes this.
  5. Steph Lussier

Steph Lussier Honed Member

The Birthday Slaydawg was honestly my favourite paint!!! The whole setup is $$$

May 31, 2017
  6. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

Yeah I had a long conversation in another Thread about the difference between the krom pro model paints and the paints on some of the slay dawgs. We figured that what it came down to was that all the Pro Models had a clear coat with a visible wood grain where many of the slay dawgs had a primer underneath that led to a more durable and thicker paint.

May 31, 2017
    Congarranza and Steph Lussier like this.
  7. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Tough call, I really like the engravings on the ash ken, and in the cups. Subtle, but gives the ken a very unique look and feel.

On the other hand, buying a pro mods supports the pros, which is rad! I don't think there are any bad choices here.

May 31, 2017
  8. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

I have both, and i have to say, i love the pro model ken, and the Nihon tama (much like @Steph Lussier, i believe the paint on the Nihon is a tad thicker than the pro mods)

May 31, 2017
  9. Its.MrDiz

Its.MrDiz n00b

IMO,

The lol clear across all slaydawgs B-day, Nihon, pro mods & the recent 430Dawg is exactly the same. What matters is the batch of clear on that specific run. & this is why we get some tacky & some more slippy. but again, just my 2 -cents.

I love all the models but if you really want that edge, the Nihon has specifically designed stall points etc. but overall they're all great and you can't really go wrong.

I'd like to add that this is coming from someone who didn't think they'd enjoy a dawg being on the standard size bandwagon. But since playing one, I now own 3.

Jun 1, 2017