Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by BallardKROM, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Avry K

Avry K Honed Member

what's up, My name is Avry Krywolt, Just got into kendama a year ago, but loved it since I first picked it up. I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada, 12 years old and jammin lots. Tell me if there is anyone else in the Calgary area so we can organise some sessions. Kaizen!!!!

Jan 24, 2017
  2. magicdamadude

magicdamadude Honed Member

Hey there! I'm Cody, I've been playing for about 10 or 11 months or so. I live in Huntington, WV. My friends and I have been trying our best to introduce kendama to the area (not many dama players in the boonies).

I've been a magician/entertainer for 11 years and I was introduced to kendama through juggling. I picked up a duncan brand kendama as my first, and not long after, I did my research and found all sorts of resources for quality kendamas online. Now I jam a little bit everyday and kendama has really become a tool for relaxation as well as exercise.

Now I'm a KROM fanboy.

Jan 31, 2017
    azleonhart likes this.
  3. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Welcome, Cody!
    Drop by often and chill with us!

Jan 31, 2017
    Cheech_Sander and magicdamadude like this.
  4. magicdamadude

magicdamadude Honed Member

Thank you for the warm welcome! One thing that really drew me to kendama is how amazing the people are.

Jan 31, 2017
    Cheech_Sander likes this.
  5. bonerkid

bonerkid Honed Member

Haven't done this yet for some reason...

I'm Thomas. I'm 22 years old and live in Kolding, Denmark. Besides Kendama, I'm really into playing my guitar and playing boardgames with my friends. I study multimedia at the international business academy in Kolding (which sounds fancier than it is), and I am currently an intern at the local TV-station, which is awesome!

When it comes to Kendama, I don't really like it because it helps me meet a lot of new people or anything like that - because that's just not the case. But even if it did, I wouldn't be interested in it. I like to jam with my 4-5 buddies that play, and the occasional newcomer, but I really like just playing by myself. It's super calming, and that's what's cool about dama for me. I have a ton of other stuff in my life that helps me connect more with other people than kendama, but I don't have a lot of stuff that can be as relaxing and mellow the way kendama CAN be.

cool stuff I like:

1. No Country For Old Men
    2. The Weakerthans
    3. Hotdogs
    4. H.P. Lovecraft
    5. Goodnight Punpun
    6. Chess
    7. Snow
    8. Bananas
    9. Studying up on world issues
    10. Ignoring world issues

Feb 5, 2017
    Stuart Barron and Cheech_Sander like this.
  6. Logashh

Logashh n00b

I'm Logan. Been playing kendama on and off since 2010/2011. Only seriously been picking it back up for past month or so after taking a 5 year break. I started in high school with my friends, but when that phase died I kind of stopped playing. I moved to MPLS last summer and don't really have anyone to jam with. So if you live in the area and wanna drink whiskey/tea/coffee/wine/beer/water and jam, hit me up!

I work in specialty coffee, but am also really passionate about tea and pottery. So if you wanna talk about any of those, i can go on for hours.

I'd say I'm still a beginner, but can land some intermediate tricks here and there.

Just laced up an oozora ken with a homegrown cush clear tama that I've been loving.

Feb 8, 2017
  7. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Hi y'all. My name is Joel and I live in Kirkland, WA. I'm a rock climber as my main hobby and profession, but I'm into a lot of outdoor activities including hunting, fishing, and primitive survival skills. Six months ago my mind was totally blown when my buddy told me he went back and forth between big and little cup six times. Since then I've been trying to get consistent with every trick I can land and piece together combos that I get stoked on. Now I'm on a forum with a bunch of other dama nerds haha

I don't do the gram.. sorry

Feb 10, 2017
    Cheech_Sander and Logashh like this.
  8. Niggetynixaan

Niggetynixaan n00b

Hi I'm Niggety Nixaan.
    Started playing kendama in 2008. I play kendama. I paint kendama. I'm from the Netherlands. 3rd Dan JKA. Me and my brother and Alex Ruisch organise dutch kendama gathering, contest and Dutch Championship called: Spikedama

Facebook and Instagram: @Niggetynixaan
    Check out my Japan trip, kendama festa, spikedama and eko edits on https://vimeo.com/user721321

Feb 14, 2017
    Stuart Barron and Vlats like this.
  9. Timmy Jacob

Timmy Jacob n00b

Timmy Jacob here!

Got my first kendama in October of 2014, but only kinda started being more serious about getting better at it around December of 2015. Definitely super stoked about spreading kendama here in the Philippines and making friends both here and internationally through it!

Check me out on IG: @timmyplayskendama

Feb 14, 2017
  10. Djoul

Djoul Member

Hi everybody,
    My name is Julien and I live eastern from France. I've discovered kendama last summer thanks to a friend who brought me one from a trip in Tokyo. I enjoy all the creativity , enthusiasm and unity showed by the whole community, it's really refreshing !

Feb 15, 2017
  11. Nitram707

Nitram707 Member

Sup names Martin I live in Sacramento, California

Best thing about kendama there are so many tricks and endless possibilities of combinations you can do. I like the skill, patience and the progression of playing kendama.

New to the community have only been playing since December of 2015 left handed player.

My Instagram is: Nitram_is_here_707 follow me and check me out.

Looking to spread kendama in Sacramento it's not as big as I'd like it to be and would love to attend local jams.

Feb 15, 2017
  12. Alice

Alice Member

Hey!
    Im Alice, 14 years old from Sweden. I have been playing kendama for about a year and Im a team member of Heartwood (Swedish brand) kendama team.

I was the only girl that competed in KGC. (Krom Gävle Championship)
    One of the best things about Kendama is to play with your friends, lace new tricks and just have fun.
    Besides kendama i LOVE skateboarding. Im kind of A nerd so I get very inserted in everything I think is fun :D
    I also Love fotball (soccer), and My favorite team is Chelsea.

The feeling When U lace A trick that you have been grinding for soooo long is one of the best things I know :))
    My Instagram is Alice.skate, go give me A follow
    ;)

(Sorry for some bad english in this text)
    Byyyee /Alice

Feb 16, 2017
    Stuart Barron likes this.
  13. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Alice likes this.
  14. Nitram707

Nitram707 Member

Thank you :)

Feb 16, 2017
  15. PMC

PMC n00b

Hey my name is Patrick I'm a middle school teacher I sponsor an aftwr school kendama club. We have on average 34 members. I have had a kendama since around 2010 but didn't really start jamming until 11/2016.

Here is a picture of the kendama clubs last meeting.
    20170216_155549.jpg

Instagram @artistandlead
    @spraycancreative 20170216_155549.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Feb 16, 2017
    Cheech_Sander and Nick Lectura like this.
  16. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

I'm pretty sure @Steph Lussier and Dave Cherwak both live in Calgary, so I guess you can DM them on insta and start a conversation about sessions in your area!

Feb 17, 2017
    Dæmon likes this.
  17. Dæmon

Dæmon Moderator Staff Member

That's a robust looking scene! Nice work!

Feb 18, 2017
    PMC likes this.
  18. Donald Grant

Donald Grant Member

So I finally got round to signing up here, and now I notice that I've dropped a typo in my user name. Great start! Too late to change though, so....
    My name is Donald, and I would guess I got my first kendama about 24 years ago. I certainly remember we had one that lived on top of the refrigerator when I lived in Montreal, back in '94. I always noodled a bit, but diabolo has always been my main toy, in fact it's my job.
    Got into playing more seriously in 2008, when Void invited me onto the original Team KD in the UK. Have been much more involved since then, did all the illustrations for the kendama books with the Void, play pretty much every day, and try to do two or three edits of weird freestyle trick ideas every year.
    The scene here in Scotland isn't massive, but hey, that's what the internet's for :) Cheers, Donald

Feb 18, 2017
    Dæmon and Stuart Barron like this.
  19. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

Nice to see you here Donald! That's an unfortunate typo! How is that pronounced now?

Feb 19, 2017
  20. Dæmon

Dæmon Moderator Staff Member

Your username is now Donald Grant :)

Feb 20, 2017
    Donald Grant likes this.